Thursday, March 19, 2009

Being productive in front of the TV

This is my first week of not working, and it's really strange. For more than a year I woke up every morning, got on the R train, and walked into a glamorous building. Sometimes it was boring, sometimes it was exciting, sometimes stressful, but I always loved it. I was a lowly assistant, getting coffee and sending faxes, but I was living my dream.

Right now it's 2:45pm, and I'm sitting on my boyfriend's couch watching P.S. I Love You. Totally depressing, but at least Gerard Butler is fun to look at.


When I found out I was losing my job, he (my bf, not Gerard) offered to let me stay with him for a month and sublet my apartment. I really don't know what I'd do if I didn't have him to lean on right now. Although, it is a little weird to be moving in with a guy for financial reasons, when you're not really at the "moving in" stage yet. So far it's been really fun and great. Only a few setbacks - such as yesterday when I drank the rest of the milk during the day...and then he got home from work and wanted a cup of tea, only to find out there was no milk. (He's English, so messing up his evening tea is a huge offense.) Luckily I survived unscathed.

But, anyway, back to the point. Not working. Basically I've been obsessively checking Ed2010 and Mediabistro job listings. It's mostly a sad reminder that the magazine industry is crumbling. But, I've found a few promising leads. I've also been emailing everyone I know in the industry and doing whatever I can to get back in. Oh, and going to the gym. Ironically, I have a complimentary one-month membership to Reebok Sports Club. It's an unbelievably fancy club that I could never afford to join, but they sent some free passes to my old magazine. One of the perks of the job...that I don't have anymore. Right...

No comments:

Post a Comment