Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Meet the Parents

This weekend I took a break from the job search and flew home to Indiana for my sister's engagement party. AND I brought my boyfriend home with me to meet the fam for the first time. He was a little reluctant at first...he tends to freak out about new relationship steps. But it went so well! He did have the huge advantage of a cute British accent, which is much more of a rarity in the Midwest than in NYC. Everyone he met thought he was so charming and funny, just because his accent is adorable. Oh, and I guess partly because he actually is charming and funny. :)

So, everything went smoothly. Although, there was a small incident at the dinner table. My family was joking around about people snoring, and my mom told a story about how when I was six I was sharing a bedroom with my grandma, and she was snoring. She got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, and I apparently locked her out of the room. Everyone laughed, and then the BF said, "I'll remember to wear a key around my neck while we sleep." And then of course my sister had to call him out on it and say, "Oh, so you two sleep together?" (Which seems innocent enough, except my fam loves to bring that Catholic guilt.) Everyone laughed, but it was definitely awkward.

Has your bf ever slipped up and said anything like that to your parents?

But, in the end it was really great. Now he wants to take me to meet his family in London. Flights are super cheap right now...although still out of my unemployed budget! So, we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment